CSM ® (Certified Scrum Master) is a Scrum certification provided by Scrum Alliance (www.scrumalliance.org) for those who wants to play the role of a Scrum Master in a Scrum Team. This certification is globally recognized by various industries include: Information Technology, Automobile, Infrastructure, Manufacturing and many other industries across the world.
CSM course covers the following topics: Agile, Empirical Process, Scrum fundamentals, Scrum Values, Scrum Roles, Scrum Artifacts, Scrum Events, and some non-core Scrum topics such as estimation, release planning and tracking, use stories, burndown and burn up charts etc.
Scrum Master role is a people oriented role in Scrum team. Those who are passionate about people development, servant leadership, coaching and facilitation focused can best suited for this role. Anyone who has great Scrum knowledge and experience along with soft skills, communication, conflict resolution techniques, facilitation and coaching skills can take up this role. There are few myths such as project managers or business analysts or test leads only can become Scrum Master. It is not true, Scrum Master does not need domain or technology experience. This role is more of implementing Scrum within teams and organization, people enablement role.
Advantages of CSM certification:
- This certification helps you understand Scrum from an experienced trainer. So you can easily understand what is part of core scrum, what is not and also learn some anti-patterns of Scrum implementation and how to tackle them.
- It helps you to work with the teams more collaborative and creative manner. So your teams will start seeing improvements in creatively, productivity and flexibility as you work with them as Scrum Master.
- CSM certification has a very well established recognition across the world so your resume will have additional weightage because of this certification.
How to get CSM certified?
This certification needs a 2 days classroom training followed by an open book exam. THe exam contains 50 multiple choice questions with a duration of 60 minutes. Passing score is 74% (37 questions should be correct out of 50 questions). After passing the exam, you need to accept the digital license agreement with Scrum Alliance and then download the certificate. The validity of this certificate is 2 years. After two years you can either do the next level A-CSM which automatically renews your CSM or you can show 20 SEUs (Scrum Educational Units) and pay 100 USD to renew for the next two years.
How to find a good trainer to attend CSM training?
Scrum is a framework which is made intentionally incomplete. So those who have strong Scrum experience and in-depth understanding of the framework only can provide you the knowledge. The more experience the trainer has, the more real-time scenarios and different situations he/she can bring to the classroom. This will expand the learning of the participants and helps in the actual Scrum implementation in the organization. So if you decide to go for CSM certification, check for the following in the Trainer and then decide:
- Trainer’s Scrum experience and knowledge
- Whether the Trainer has any Large scale Scrum transformation experience
- How many training workshops he/she conducted
- Feedback on the trainer (Linked in, facebook or any other source)
- Trainer’s approach of the training
- Post training support (Such as SEUs support, real-time implementation support)
You can visit Scrum Alliance Website for more details on CSM certification that include: Learning Objectives, Renewal Process, next levels of CSM certifications etc.
Interesting, right! If you need more details on this training or you’d like attend the training, please contact us on 7075599555 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.